Sessions in the Address Manager API are implemented as Perl or Java programs, or accessed directly through the web service.
Generally, these sessions log in, perform a function, and then log out again. Provided the script is successful, the next script then logs in, performs its function, and then logs out.
- Connect to the Address Manager server.
- Log in.
- Get the initial configuration, user, group or tag group object and proceed to step 4, or retrieve a specific object by name or ID using getEntity() and proceed to step 7.
- Use getEntities() to find the children of the initial object.
- Use getEntity() or a less generic method to select a single entity.
- Add a child object or affect the current object.
- Log out.
Variations on this pattern are possible, provided the API implementation can provide sufficient information to retrieve the required objects.