Clients request a session by logging in.
Programs, often scripted in languages such as Java, Python, or Perl, can be clients of the API interface. They typically perform actions in a sequence of events like the following:
- Connect to the Address Manager server.
- Log in.
- Get the initial configuration, user, group, or tag group object and proceed to step 4, or retrieve a specific object by name or ID using getEntityById or getEntityByName and proceed to step 6.
- Use getEntities to find the children of the initial object.
- Use getEntities or a less generic method to select a single entity.
- Add a child object or affect the current object.
- Log out.