How to add Managed Windows servers to Address Manager.
After you have created at least one DDW server and set the other prerequisites, you can start adding Managed Windows servers to Address Manager. DNS and/or DHCP (or both) services must be running on a Windows server before you can add that server to a Address Manager configuration.
To add a Managed Windows Server to Address Manager:
- Log in to Address Manager and select a configuration.
- Select the Servers tab. Tabs remember the page you last worked on, so select the Servers tab again to ensure you are working with the Configuration information page.
- Under Servers, click New and select Server. The Add Server page opens.
- Click the server name and select Edit. The Edit Server page opens.
Under Server, complete the following:
- Profile—select Managed Windows Server from the drop-down menu.
- Name—edit the name of the server. This name is used only in the Address Manager user interface and is not associated with deployed DNS data.
- IPv4 Address—edit the IPv4 address assigned to the server.
- Connect to server—by default, this option is selected. It allows Address Manager to connect to the server once it is added. Deselect this check box if you do not want to connect to the server at this time.
- Password—enter the password you used when you installed the DDW.
- Location—(Optional) select a location from the drop-down menu on which the server object that you are adding or editing will be based. The most often used location objects will be shown at the top of the list followed by all other lists in alphabetical order.
- Read-Only mode enabled—deselect this check box to
enable read-write mode, or leave the check box selected to maintain the
server in read-only mode.Attention: Windows servers should be added in Read-Only mode in order to import data properly. Once the Windows server is added to Address Manager and the data has been imported and sent via notification to Address Manager, change the Windows server to Read-Write mode and deploy.
- Under DDW Server, select a DDW server from the drop-down menu.
Under Server Authentication Credentials, select the
Inherit authentication credentials from linked Proteus
DDW check box.
Note: If you want to use unique credentials for the Managed Windows server, deselect the Inherit authentication credentials from linked Proteus DDW check box, and then enter the Domain name, User name and Password. The domain name must be the domain name of the Windows Active Directory domain to which this server belongs. If the server is not a member of a domain, enter the server’s NETBIOS computer name.
Under DNS and DHCP Availability, set the following DNS
and DHCP service options:
Attention: If DHCP Enabled is initially deselected for a Managed Windows Server and is later enabled by editing the Managed Windows Server object, DHCP Import from the Managed Windows Server will function normally, but DHCP lease notifications from the Managed Windows Server will not be sent to Address Manager. To resolve this issue, restart the Address Manager DNS and DHCP Manager service on the DDW server.
- Select DNS Enabled if the Windows server provides or will provide DNS services. When you manage Windows DNS from Address Manager, you must select a DNS view. All DNS data from the Windows server is imported into this view, and only DNS records contained in this view are deployed. If your configuration does not yet contain a view, or if you want to add a different view, select the Enter View Name option, and then enter a name for the view.
- Select DHCP Enabled if the Windows server provides DHCP services.
Optional: You can create a schedule for data imports from Managed
Windows servers. Under Import Schedule, select the
Enable import Schedule check box, and then set the
Note: When a Managed Windows server is in Read-Write mode, the Import Schedule section of the Add Server and Edit Server pages is not available and the following message appears: Import schedule functionality is available only in Read-Only mode.
- Start Time—enter the start time in these fields and select AM or PM.
- Start Date—enter a date in the format DD MMM YYYY (for example, type 10 Aug 2015 for August 10 2015), or click the calendar button to select a date.
- Frequency—to import data just once at the specified time and date, select Once. To import data at a regular interval, select Every, enter a value in the text field, and then select a time interval from the drop-down menu.
- Under Change Control, add comments to describe your changes. By default, this step is optional but might be set as a requirement.
- Click Add. The server is added to the Address Manager configuration.