The Add Alias Records page opens when you select the Add Alias Records function on a host or alias resource record details page. Use this method to add aliases to zones other than the zone you are currently in.
To add a CNAME record to other DNS zones:
- From the configuration drop-down menu, select a configuration.
- Select the DNS tab. Tabs remember the page you last worked on, so select the tab again to ensure you're on the Configuration information page.
- Under DNS Views, click a DNS view.
- Under Top Level Domains, navigate to the top level domain, DNS zone, or DNS sub-zone where you want to add or edit a resource record.
- Click the Resource Records tab.
- Under Resource Records, click the name of a host record.
- Click the Host record name menu and select Add Alias Records.
Under General, set the following parameters:
Absolute Name—you MUST select this check box and enter the fully qualified name of the alias record to add aliases to other zones. If not selected, all aliases are added to the current zone. For example, if the current zone to which you are adding resource records is example.com and you want to add the alias record, new.alias, to the example.corp zone in the current View, you need to select the Absolute Name check box and enter new.alias.example.corp as the fully qualified domain name. Address Manager will check if a valid zone to which this Alias record can be added exists in the same DNS View. If the example.corp zone exists, the new.alias record will be added to example.corp. If example.corp does not exist, the Add Alias Records Confirmation page opens. For more information, refer to Add Alias Records Confirmation.Note: If you are adding an alias name with no dot in its name and you have selected the Absolute Name check box, the alias record will still be added to the current zone. For example, if you are working in the zone example.com and you enter the alias record name, nondottedalias, and select the Absolute Name check box, the alias record will be added to the zone example.com.
Name—type the name for the alias and click Add. The alias name opens in the list. To remove a name, select it from the list and click Remove. To change the order of items in the list, select an item in the list and click Move up or Move down.
- The Record Data section shows the host or alias record linked to the aliases. Click on the record name to view its details. For more information, refer to Managing resource records.
In the Optional section set the time to live value and
comments for the aliases:
- Override TTL—to change the time-to-live value for the record, select this option and enter a value in the field. Select a unit of time from the drop-down menu.
- Comments—type a description of the alias records. The comment will be applied to all alias records created at this time.
- Under Change Control, add comments, if required.
- Click Add.