The DNS Raw option allows you to add options to the DNS service in a raw format that gets passed to the service when deployed. Raw options assigned to a parent object aren't inherited by child objects. For example, an option set at a parent zone isn't inherited by a child zone.
DNS and DHCP Raw options aren't overridden if a Raw option is configured at the server group level and the individual server level. During the deployment to the individual server, the Raw options are either included or eliminated based on the following scenarios:
Configuring different deployment options on the server group and server
If a raw option is configured on a server group and a different Raw option is configured on an individual server that's associated to that server group, the Raw options are included and subsequently deployed to the individual server. For example, if raw option Raw_Option_1 is specified on the server group and Raw option Raw_Option_2 is specified on a specific server that's associated to that server group, the deployment to the specific server would contain both Raw_Option_1 and Raw_Option_2.
Configuring identical deployment options on the server group and server
If a Raw option is configured at a server group and an identical Raw option is configured on an individual server that's associated to that server group, one of the duplicate Raw options is eliminated and the option is deployed only once to the individual server. For example, if Raw option Raw_Option_1 is specified at the server group and Raw option Raw_Option_1 is specified on a specific server that's associated to that server group, the deployment to the specific server would only contain one instance of Raw_Option_1.
To add a DNS Raw option:
- From the configuration drop-down menu, select a configuration.
- Select the DNS tab. Tabs remember the page you last worked on, so select the tab again to ensure you're on the Configuration information page.
- Navigate to the level at which you want to set a DNS deployment option and click the Deployment Options tab. Deployment Options tabs appear at the configuration, view, zone, IP block, and IP network levels.
- Under Deployment Options, click New and select DNS Raw option.
- Under Value, enter the value for the option in the Raw Data field. The maximum supported characters are 65,536.
Servers, select the servers to which the option
- Server Group—applies the deployment option to a specific server group in the configuration. Select a server group from the drop-down menu.
- Specific Server—applies the deployment option to a specific server in the configuration. Select a server from the drop-down menu.
- Under Change Control, add comments, if required.
- Click Add, or click Add Next to add another Raw option.