For load balancing of DNS services, configure additional IPv4 service addresses or loopback addresses to an xHA pair configured with DNS/DHCP Server software version 8.1.0 or greater.
xHA customers can take advantage of additional DNS service addresses for better flexibility and centralized control when consolidating old DNS servers into one single server without disrupting any configurations that might be using the old IP addresses.
To configure an xHA pair with multiple IPv4 service addresses or loopback addresses:
- Select the Servers tab. Tabs remember the page you last worked on, so select the tab again to ensure you're on the Configuration information page.
- From the configuration drop-down menu, select a configuration.
- Click the menu beside the xHA pair name and select Service Configuration.
- From the Service Type drop-down menu, select Interfaces.
Under the Interface column, choose the eth0
interface then navigate across the row to the Action
column and click Edit.
Note: The Interface, Type, IPv4 Primary and IPv6 Primary fields are automatically populated and can't be edited. If running an xHA pair, you will see the IPv4 PIP field, which also can't be edited. The IPv4 PIP is the IPv4 address configured on Service interface (or Management interface if Dedicated Management is enabled) on the Active or Passive node.
Complete the following:
- In the Description field, enter a name for the new services IP address. You can enter up to 80 alphanumeric characters including spaces, but excluding special characters.
- OPTIONAL: In the IPv6 Primary field, enter a Primary Service IPv6 address if you don't already have one configured.
In the Address/CIDR field, enter an IPv4 or IPv6
address and netmask using CIDR notation. For example,
192.0.2.100/24 or 2001:db8::AC10:FE02/64. This will be the IP
address assigned to the newly created VLAN interface.
Note: If no CIDR netmask is added, /32 will be automatically added for IPv4 addresses; /128 for IPv6 addresses.
- Click Add Address. The IP address appears in the Addresses list. Add additional IPv4 addresses as needed. To delete an address, select an IP address from the Addresses list and click Remove.
- Click OK.
Under Addresses, expand the primary IP to view
the newly added IPv4 address.
- You can add up to a maximum of 512 IPv4 addresses.
- Ensure that IP addresses are unique and don't conflict with IPs configured on other interfaces of the server or in your network.
- If you reset services when replacing a DNS/DHCP Server, the Interfaces/Additional IP Address service type will be disabled but won't remove IP addresses from the list.