The WINS-R resource record is configured using the Use WINS Reverse Lookup deployment option in Address Manager. You can add the Use WINS Reverse-Lookup deployment option at the configuration, IPv4 block, or IPv4 network levels.
To configure the Use WINS Reverse Lookup deployment option:
- Navigate to the IPv4 block or network where you want to configure the WINS option.
- Click the Deployment Options tab.
- Click New, then select DNS Option.
- From the Option drop-down menu, select Use WINS Reverse Lookup.
- If you are using a combination of Windows and Other DNS servers, select the Do not replicate this record check box. This setting prevents the WINS record from being included in zone transfers to servers that do not recognize WINS records.
- In the FQDN field, enter the domain name that you want to be appended to the computer name returned by the WINS server.
In the Cache Timeout field, type the cache timeout value
to be applied to the record.
The Cache Timeout value indicates how long the DNS server should cache any of the information returned in a WINS lookup. The default setting for Cache timeout is 15 minutes.
In the Lookup Timeout field, enter the lookup timeout
value to be applied to the record.
The Lookup Timeout value specifies how long the DNS server should wait before timing out and expiring a WINS lookup performed by the DNS Server service. The default setting for Cache timeout is 2 seconds.
Under Server section, determine the servers to which
this option applies:
- To apply the option to all servers in the configuration select
All Servers.Attention: Server Groups only support BlueCat DNS/DHCP Servers.
- To apply the option to a specific server, select Specific Server, then select a server from the drop-down menu.
- To apply the option to all servers in the configuration select All Servers.
- Click Add to add the option and return to the Deployment Options tab, or click Add Next to add another deployment option.