Partitioning divides blocks into multiple, equally sized, smaller blocks or networks. Any remaining space can also be allocated as the same type of object.
To partition an IPv4 block into child blocks or networks:
- Select the IP Space tab. Tabs remember the page you last worked on, so select the tab again to ensure you're on the Configuration information page.
- From the configuration drop-down menu, select a configuration.
- Under IPv4 Blocks, select the block that you want to partition. The Address Space tab for the block opens.
- Click the menu beside the block name and select Create Partitions.
As you select options, refer to the Data
Check section of the page. The Data Check
section provides information about the objects to be created by the partition
Note: The partition tool creates a maximum of 1024 blocks or networks. If your partition settings create more than 1024 objects, a warning appears in the Data Check section to indicate that the partition operation will not be performed. Adjust your partition settings to reduce the number of objects.
- When creating IPv4 blocks, the Data Check section notes the number of addresses in each block and the number of blocks to be created.
- When creating IPv4 networks, the Data Check section notes the number of hosts in each network and the number of networks to be created.
Under Select Unallocated Space, specify the space to
partition and the type of partitions to create:
- Available space—lists the available unallocated space. Select a block of space from the drop-down menu.
- Sub-range start and end—select this option to specify the space to be partitioned by typing the start and end points of the space.
- Divide into—select Blocks to create IPv4 blocks or Networks to create IPv4 Networks.
Under Allocation Size, determine how many blocks or
networks are to be created:
- Using CIDR format with blocks/networks of size—select this option to specify the size and number of items in CIDR notation. Select a value from the drop-down menu.
- Number of blocks/networks—select this option to specify the number of blocks or networks to create. Enter a value in the field.
- Size of blocks/networks—select this option to specify the size of the blocks or networks to create. Enter a value in the field.
- Remaining space, (range), should be allocated—this field appears when creating IPv4 blocks. If your partition settings result in some of the selected space not being allocated, the range of unallocated space is noted here. Select the check box to allocate the remaining range, or deselect the check box to leave the remaining range unallocated.
- A Templates section appears when partitioning into networks and if network templates are available. To apply a template to the new networks, select the Select Template check box; a drop-down menu of available network templates appears. Select a network template from the list.
- Under Name, enter a name in the Name field. This name will be applied to each new block or network.
Under Tags, select a tag to apply to each new block or
- Click Add Tag.
- Click tag groups and tag names to move down through the tag hierarchy. Click the Up button to move up through the tag hierarchy.
- Select the tag that you want to add.
- Click Add.
- If required, repeat these steps to add more tags.
- Click Apply.
- Click Partition.
- Click Yes.