An Address Manager configuration can have many IP blocks. You can use the Find First Available IPv4 Block function to quickly locate the first available IPv4 block. You can search through all blocks in your configuration, or you can search within a specific block.
The search displays only IPv4 blocks to which you have at least view access rights. You can either search through the existing empty block or create a new block with the specified size.
When searching for the first available block with the exactly equal size match option, you can only search for a block that's the same size you specified. For example, if you specify the /23 IPv4 block size, Address Manager will only find or create a block size of /23.
To find the first available IPv4 block:
- Select the IP Space tab. Tabs remember the page you last worked on, so select the tab again to ensure you're on the Configuration information page.
- From the configuration drop-down menu, select a configuration.
- Under IPv4 Blocks section, click Action and select Find First Available IPv4 Block.
Under Search Option, set the search
- Size of the range—select a network size. Network sizes in the drop-down menu will be populated based on the selected block or configuration, and will be listed by CIDR notation and by the number of addresses within the network.
- Number of networks to find—specify number of networks to be found or created.
- Reuse existing unused ranges—select this option to find the existing unused networks of similar size. By default, this option isn't selected and Address Manager always creates a new network of specified size.
- Find first available network with exactly equal size—select this option to locate a network that's of the size selected in the Size of the range drop-down list.
- Find first available network with equal or larger size—select this option to locate a network equal to or larger than the size selected in the Size of the range drop-down list.
- If Address Manager can't find a network, a message appears at the top of the page to indicate that no network was found or created. Modify your search criteria to perform another search.
- If Address Manager finds an existing block matching the specified search criteria, the Address Space tab opens.
- If a block matching the specified search criteria can be created, the Add IPv4 Block Confirmation page opens.
Under General, set the following options:
- Name—specify a name for the block.
- Location—(Optional) select a
location from the drop-down menu on which the IP object that you are
adding or editing will be based. The most frequently used location
objects are at the top of the list.
- Inherited Location—displays the location annotation that's inherited from the parent object. If you don't include a location, this default location will be used for the current object and its child objects.
- Default View—select a view from the list. The selected view is inherited by child blocks and networks in the block. When you add a DNS host name to an IP address, the default view determines which DNS view is selected by default.
For complete instructions on creating the new block, refer to Working with IPv4 blocks.