Forwarding Policy determines the forwarding behavior if the forwarder is not available.
- Forward First—The forwarding client tries to send the query to the forwarder. If the forwarder is not available, the client tries to resolve the query itself. This is the default value.
- Forward Only—The forwarding client tries to send the query to the forwarder. If the forwarder is not available, no response is returned.
Address Manager imports the Forwarding and Forwarding Policy deployment options at the DNS server level. You can configure this option at the server level, the configuration level, or the view level. In each case, it is deployed to the server level on Windows.
To define the Forwarding Policy DNS deployment option:
- From the configuration drop-down menu, select a configuration.
- Select the DNS tab or the IP Space tab. Tabs remember the page you last worked on, so select the DNS tab or IP Space tab again to ensure you are working with the Configuration information page.
- Navigate to the level at which you want to define the option, then click the Deployment Options tab.
- Under Deployment Options, click New and select DNS Option. The Add DNS Deployment Option page opens.
- From the Option list, select Forwarding Policy.
- From the Specify list, select first or only.
Under Server, determine the servers to which this option
- To apply the option to all servers in the configuration select
All Servers.Attention: Server Groups only support BlueCat DNS/DHCP Servers.
- To apply the option to a specific server select Specific Server, then select a server from the drop-down menu.
- To apply the option to all servers in the configuration select All Servers.
- Click Add to add the option and return to the Deployment Options tab.