You should consider the following restrictions when resizing blocks and networks:
- The new object cannot exceed the address space of its parent object.
- The resized object must contain some of its previous address space.
- Resized objects must contain at least three addresses to accommodate the network address, the broadcast address, and one assignable address.
- If a child object is no longer covered by the range of the resized object, the child object becomes a sibling object to the newly resized object. The child object must be completely covered or uncovered by the newly resized object or an error appears.
- If an adjacent block is completely covered by a resized block, a confirmation page appears and you need to confirm that you want the adjacent block to become a child of the resized block. The adjacent block must either be entirely covered or not covered by the resized block.
- Resizing a network that results in abandoned addresses isn't permitted as addresses can't be child objects of a block.
- Networks cannot be resized to include a sibling object; networks can only be resized to include unallocated space.
To resize, split, or move an IPv4 block:
- Select the IP Space tab. Tabs remember the page you last worked on, so select the tab again to ensure you're on the Configuration information page.
- From the configuration drop-down menu, select a configuration.
Choose one of the following tasks:
Resize the block
Split the block
- Click the menu beside the block name and select Resize.
Select a resize option and specify the resize values in these fields:
- CIDR block—select this option to specify the network size using CIDR notation. Type the address and size in the CIDR Block field.
- Range—select this option to specify the network size as a range of IP addresses. Type the starting and ending addresses in the From and To fields.
- Address—select this option to specify the network size with an IP address and netmask. Type the IP address and netmask in the Address and Netmask fields.
Move the block
- Click the menu beside the block name and select Split.
- In the IP Address field, enter the address at which you want to split the block.
- Under IPv4 Blocks, select the block or network that you want to move.
- Click the menu beside the block name or network name, and select Move.
- Under New Location, set the following
- IP Address—type the IP address for the location to which you want to move the block or network.
- Override IP overlap detection—this check box appears only for Address Manager administrators and only when IP Overlap Detection is enabled. When the IP Overlap Detection function shows that the destination address for the block or network you are moving conflicts with an existing block or network in another configuration, select this check box to override the warning and move the block or network.
- Click Yes.