BlueCat recommends creating a snapshot of your instances before any major upgrade or maintenance as a backup.
To create a snapshot:
- Navigate to your instance list on AWS web interface.
- Stop the instance by selecting .
- Under the Description tab, click the root device name hyperlink (i.e. /dev/sda1) then click the EBS ID.
- Select the volume and select .
- Type the name and description in the respective fields then click Create.
Snapshot creation will begin.
For details about creating an Amazon volume snapshot, refer to https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/EBSSnapshots.html.