This task assumes that you are already familiar with Google Cloud-related settings and DNS/DHCP Server operations.
Prerequisites for launching virtual appliances on Google Cloud:
- You must have a valid Google Cloud account.
- You must have a valid license from BlueCat.Note: BlueCat DNS for Google Cloud is a BYOL (Bring Your Own License) solution. The Google Marketplace deploys this solution, but you are responsible for purchasing and managing the license directly from BlueCat. A valid client ID and license key are required to successfully deploy a VM using this solution. Contact your BlueCat sales representative with your GCP email ID(s) to obtain your client ID and license key.
Attention: BlueCat strongly recommends connecting to your Google Cloud using a VPN connection when working in a mixed environment where part of your DNS, DHCP, and IPAM (DDI) infrastructure is on-site and part of it's on the Google Cloud.
Launch the BlueCat DNS for Google Cloud solution from the GCP Marketplace.
- Navigate to the Google Cloud Platform Marketplace.
- Click Explore Marketplace.
- Enter BlueCat in the search bar labelled Search for solutions.
- Select BlueCat DNS for Google Cloud Platform from the results page.
- Click Launch on Compute Engine to launch BlueCat DNS for Google Cloud. The New BlueCat DNS for Google Cloud Platform deployment page opens.
- In the Deployment name field, choose a name for your instance.
- Select your timezone from the Zone drop-down menu.
Select a machine type from the Machine type drop-down
Note: BlueCat recommends 2 vCPUs (7.5 GB memory, n1-standard-2) or 4 vCPUs (15 GB memory, n1-standard-4).
- Under Boot Disk, select Standard Persistent Disk or SSD Persistent from the Boot disk type drop-down menu.
- Under Networking, select a network from the Network drop-down menu.
- Select a subnetwork from the Subnetwork drop-down menu.
- Select Ephemeral or None from the External IP drop-down menu.
- Enter the administrator's SSH public key in the SSH public key field.
- OPTIONAL: Under Dedicated Management, select the network and subnetwork for a second network interface for dedicated management.
- Under License Information, enter your client ID in the Client ID field.
Enter your license key in the License key field.
Note: If you prefer to configure your client ID and license key through the Administration Console, you can proceed to deploy the solution without entering this information through the user interface. See Updating BlueCat licenses from the Administration Console for instructions.
- Click Deploy.
After completing these steps, your new instance displays in the instance list.