Address Manager supports setting a custom reverse zone name format.
Address Manager creates the reverse zone and reverse zone structure automatically when deploying a DNS deployment role configuration to a DNS Server. Previously, only one reverse zone format was supported and this resulted in issues when importing an existing reverse zone that didn't follow the default Address Manager format.
Because there are number of other acceptable formats that can be used to generate reverse DNS zones, Address Manager now supports setting a custom reverse zone name format.
This can be configured either at the IP Block or IP Network level. If the reverse zone name format is defined at the Block level, it will only be applied at subclass C classless networks.
You must deploy the DNS configuration to a DNS Server in order for the new reverse zone name format to take effect.
- A deployment role must be assigned to a particular network or block otherwise the reverse zone name format won't take effect.
- If you set the reverse zone name format at the IP block level, it will be inherited to the child networks. If you want to override the reverse zone name format set at the higher IP block level, set a reverse zone name format at each child network level.
- Subclass-C classless reverse zone format applies only at levels smaller than /24 networks. The format should be able to uniquely identify the network.
- The default reverse zone name format is: [start-ip]-[net-mask].[net].in-addr.arpa.
- Custom reverse zone name format applies only to BlueCat DNS/DHCP Servers.
- Custom reverse zone name format doesn't apply to DDNS nor to DNSSEC enabled zones.
To set the reverse zone name format:
- From the configuration drop-down menu, select a configuration.
- Select the IP Space tab. Tabs remember the page you last worked on, so select the tab again to ensure you're on the Configuration information page.
- Navigate to either the IP block or IP network level at which you want to set a reverse zone name format and click the Deployment Options tab.
- Under Deployment Options, click New and select DNS Option.
Under General, select the Reverse Zone Name
Format option and set its parameters:
- Option—select the Reverse Zone Name Format option from the drop-down menu.
- Format—select a reverse zone name format for the
drop-down menu. Supported formats include:
- User-specific custom format. User-specific custom format only appears and can only be set at the subclass C classless Network level.
- Translates to—displays the actual reverse zone name format that will be created based on the format you selected. If you select Custom from the Format drop-down menu, you must enter a unique identifiable reverse zone name format in the Translate to field. This field only appears when setting a reverse zone name format in the smaller than /24 network level.
- Under Change Control, add comments, if required.
- Click Add, or click Add Next to add another deployment option.